Looking for FreeBSD VPS hosting services that offer Free-BSD optimized servers along with the latest OS releases? Welcome to the ultimate list of hosting providers supporting this OS.
As time passes, it is becoming more difficult to find hosting providers offering FreeBSD support with the latest releases.
Therefore, we are here with the best 7 cheap hosting services that support your favorite operating system. Some offer one-click installation for FreeBSD whereas a few others have semi-automatic installation.
Either way, these are the best VPS hosting services on the internet for FreeBSD.
7 Cheap FreeBSD VPS hosting
We will see 7 cheap FreeBSD VPS hosting providers which are reliable, and offer the latest releases for the operating system.
1. Vultr (Best FreeBSD VPS Hosting)
Vultr is the best FreeBSD VPS hosting you can go with. You will get full FreeBSD support here.
At the time we’re writing this article, Vultr uses the last two latest versions of the OS. If you want to have another version of the OS, you can always install your ISO.
There are multiple types of VPS you can go with:
- At first, you can choose from the CPU-optimized cloud or general cloud computing. CPU-optimized will have no noisy neighbor. Therefore, you will get better performance.
- Cloud computing (shared CPU) is good for medium workloads. You can choose one depending on the budget you have.
People often use FreeBSD for responsiveness and ease of use. Well, Vultr’s cloud panel is the cherry on top of the cake. You will get a mobile-responsible cloud panel to manage your FreeBSD VPS.
Vultr uses an advanced system derived from BSD. You will get 100% SLA with a powerful API to automate your VPS. The high-performance IP network also offers native DDoS mitigation.
Overall, Vultr has got all the features you will require. You can also scale up the server as you grow. They also offer OpenBSD hosting.
A quick look at Vultr
- OS releases: FreeBSD 12 x 64, FreeBSD 13 x 64. You can also upload your ISO.
- Installation feature: You can install FreeBSD 12 or 13 with one click.
- Datacenters Locations: North America (Seattle, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Honolulu, Silicon Valley, Toronto, and Mexico), South America (Sao Paulo), Europe (Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, Warsaw, Madrid, Stockholm, and London), Asia (Tokyo, Singapore, Mumbai, and Seoul), and Australia (Melbourne and Sydney).
- Starting price: $2.50 per month for shared CPU, $28 per month for optimized cloud computing.
2. Contabo (High Specs Hosting with Unlimited Traffic)
Contabo offers very high CPU specs for running your FreeBSD operating system. When you order a server, you don’t directly get the option to select FreeBSD.
However, you can surely select it from the customer control panel.
They offer vanilla FreeBSD. The customizations are limited here. It comes with ZFS by default. Further, SSH is also enabled. These are the only customizations done for you.
On the positive side, you can always upload your custom ISO here. You will get better speed as they offer more CPU cores even in the base plan.
The CPU specs are the core reason why we have named it the runner-up FreeBSD VPS Hosting. The operating system runs smoothly with high CPU specs.
Additionally, the hosting provider has BSD optimized server. So, there will be no conflicts.
Contabo offers unlimited incoming traffic and up to 32 TB of outgoing traffic. They use Intel and AMD’s CPU with Dell, HPE (Hewlett-packard enterprise), and Samsung’s hardware for better networking.
Additionally, you can create a private network to run the isolated cloud. Overall, it’s a decent hosting to use if you want high specs.
A quick look at Contabo
- OS releases: FreeBSD 11 and 12.2. You can also upload a custom ISO.
- Installation feature: One-click installation is done from the customer panel.
- Datacenters Locations: North America (New York, Seattle, and Louis), Asia (Singapore), and Europe (Germany, UK).
- Starting price: $6.99 per month (no setup fee when you go with annual). (Except in Germany, you will have to pay up to $3/m for other data centers)
InterServer allows you to choose your favorite virtualization method for the VPS. As we are looking for FreeBSD hosting, you will have to select KVM as the virtualization method.
Here, you won’t get a lot of OS customizations done for you. For the same reason, you can get the server at a very affordable rate.
To know more details about the customizations, you will have to first sign up with the hosting provider.
You will get dedicated resources here. You’re in full control of the server. You can restart it anytime you want. As the virtualization mode is KVM, the compatibility of the operating system is also great.
InterServer offers a huge number of server-level features. In simple words, you will get server features like self-healing hardware, remote service backup, team collaboration options, etc.
However, you can’t choose the specs and customize other addons.
You will get Webuzo control panel to manage your server. They have great security; you will also get a 99.9% uptime guarantee here. If you’re looking for cheap hosting with very few customizations. InterServer is a great choice. You will get incredible performance.
They have 2 data centers in the United States. Therefore, it’s a great choice if you have an audience from the US.
A quick look at InterServer
- OS releases: FreeBSD
- Installation feature: One-click installation on KVM virtualization
- Datacenters locations: USA (California and New Jersey)
- Starting price: $6 per month
4. Hetzner (Best for Europeans)
Finding cheap and reliable FreeBSD hosting in Europe is difficult. Hetzner is the perfect solution for such problems. It offers a reliable and cheap server in a European location.
They have a FreeBSD rescue system. The software can start the installation process. However, you will still have to enter proper commands to install FreeBSD.
Don’t worry, they have a complete tutorial if you’re facing any issues during the installation process. You can also contact the support for help.
You will get a load balancer. So, in case there is a sudden traffic spike, a load balancer will help you with the same. They include 20 TB of bandwidth.
You can also buy extra TBs. The extra TB will cost you €1.19.
They use IPv4. For hardware, you will get Intel and AMD hardware. The support is great. They only offer ticket support. It’s pretty fast. You will get the response within a couple of minutes.
You will also get floating IPs. For security, they have a firewall and DDoS.
It’s highly recommended if you’re looking for cheap hosting in Europe. The OS installation is manual. So, you will need to know a bit of technical stuff.
The support will surely help you if you need it.
A quick look at Hetzner
- OS releases: FreeBSD Rescue System
- Installation feature: Manual install, the software will start the installer. You will have to install it through SSH command line.
- Datacenters locations: Europe (Finland and Germany) and the USA
- Starting price: € 4.15 per month ($4.36)
Cloudzy has servers across the globe and more servers are coming soon. They have been in the industry since 2008. Therefore, you can surely trust the company.
You will get the FreeBSD ISO file here. However, the installation is manual. As the servers are fully optimized for FreeBSD, it’s one of the FreeBSD VPS hosting providers that we will talk about.
You will also get NVMe SSD storage at a very cheap rate.
They also offer 99.95% uptime. Therefore, you can rely on the server as well. You will get zero resource contention. So, you don’t need to worry about your neighbors stealing your resources.
The speed is great as they have a bandwidth of 1 Gbps.
They have 15 locations out of which only 2 are free (Frankfurt, Germany, and Chicago, US). You will have to pay extra for the rest of the locations.
It costs between $5 to $10 (per month) for other locations.
A quick look at Cloudzy
- OS releases: FreeBSD 12
- Installation feature: You will get the ISO file. You will have to install it manually.
- Datacenters Locations: North America (Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas, Miami, Chicago, Washington DC, New York, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh), Europe (Amsterdam, London, and Frankfurt), and Asia (Singapore).
- Starting price: $4.95 per month
Looking for VPS with unlimited traffic? Tilaa cloud is what you need. They offer unlimited traffic with up to 80% of the CPU utilization. For the same reason, you will get better performance.
It’s one of the hosting services that fully support FreeBSD. You can install it with just one click. They also provide a huge amount of storage space.
The base plan has 60 GB SSD storage which will increase as you go with the higher plan. You can also add more storage if required.
Tilaa is a company based in Netherland. You will get a 24/7 service level agreement. Therefore, you can rely on the server. For security, you will get 1 free snapshot along with DDoS protection for the server.
You can add add-ons such as backup services, floating IPs, etc.
They also support OpenBSD. So, you can easily change the OS if required. While we are on the software topic, you can also add your favorite control panel or software directly at the time of purchase.
You can get the first invoice at a huge discount. After 6 months, the renewal price will increase. We will talk about it in the starting price section.
A quick look at Tilaa
- OS releases: FreeBSD 11.3, 12.1, and 13.
- Installation feature: You can install it with just one click.
- Datacenters locations: Europe (Amsterdam and Haarlem, Netherland)
- Starting price: €6.70 ($7.05) per month for the first 6 months, thereafter it’s €10.25 ($10.8) a month.
Atlantic will be the perfect FreeBSD hosting for most people. There are many available plans. So, it will be easier for you to scale up the server. The base plan won’t cost you a lot.
They offer 100% uptime SLA. Further, you don’t even need to worry about the resources. They offer dedicated resources. You will get full control over your server. Further, the data centers are HIPPA compliant.
You can choose from any FreeBSD version. They provide network edge services with web-app firewall, CDN, and much more. You will also get advanced DDoS protection and round-the-clock server management if you go with the managed service.
Their self-managed VPS hosting also has great support and automated backups. The server will be ready in a matter of seconds. The clouds are flexible. You can customize the server as per your need.
They offer a discount if you go with a 3-year billing term. However, the first plan’s pricing is the same for every billing term. They also offer their G3.2GB VPS plan free for 1 year.
On the negative side, you will have to register an account to know more details or to customize the server.
A quick look at Atlantic
- OS releases: FreeBSD 11.4, 12.2, and 13.0. You can also upload your custom ISO file.
- Installation feature: You can install it with just one click.
- Datacenters Locations: North America (New York, San Francisco, Dallas, Ashburn, Orlando, and Toronto) and Europe (UK). They have 2 data centers coming soon in Amsterdam (Europe) and Singapore (Asia).
- Starting price: $4 per month.
You can go with any of the above-given FreeBSD hosting providers. If you’re a beginner, you can choose the VPS that offers a one-click FreeBSD installation.
The choice will depend on your requirements. Here is a breakdown of the best FreeBSD VPS based on your criteria.
- Best for Price: Vultr or Atlantic
- Best for Performance: Vultr
- Best for Europe: Hetzner
Does DigitalOcean offer Freebsd?
Starting July 1, 2022, FreeBSD Droplets are no longer supported in Digital Ocean. So, the answer is No. You can’t use FreeBSD with DigitalOcean.
Does Linode support Free BSD?
Linode supports a variety of operating systems including FreeBSD. However, the installation process for FreeBSD in Linode is complex and time-consuming. Therefore, it’s not recommended.
Web Hosting Expert, Content Writer, SEO Consultant, and Web Developer with over 10 Years of Experience.
He has a passion for technology and has spent over a decade reviewing and testing web hosting companies to provide his readers with honest and accurate reviews of the companies he had experiences with.
Tommy loves helping people and has helped hundreds of people start their own successful blogs.